Saturday, July 27, 2013
5 Reasons to Start Accepting Your Body
1. Look around. You are able to see positive qualities or beauty in others. You can see that being fat (or, looking in some way society or majority doesn't typically approve of) does not stop people from being loved & finding partners, having a family, getting a great job... What positive thing can your “flaws” say about your character? For example: a fat belly might say I like to eat, drink, & be merry, face wrinkles say I smile & laugh easily, etc.
2. A person’s body does not always accurately describe their health. And even if it does, if someone happens to be in poor health, that isn't anyone else's business. Lesley Kinzel from the blog Two Whole Cakes has a really great explanation on that thought.
3. We don’t get to choose. We can work with what we’ve got, but for the most part we don’t have control over physical features like skin/hair/eye color, body fat location & distribution, etc. Overly concerning yourself with appearance is pretty futile, y'know! Not to mention, excessive vanity is kinda unattractive!
4. The world does not belong solely to the good-looking. We’re all equal (being fellow human beings), right? Personally I’m just not willing to favor or judge someone based largely on how their outer shell appears. Didn't yer mom ever tell you it's what's inside that counts?
5. We are impermanent beings. The big picture, the big truth is that we are only on Earth for a brief time and that this body is temporary, so… why worry!